Sunday, August 8, 2010

Movies/TV Shows/Manga

I am a movie, TV show, and manga nub. I feel like there are a lot of shows and stuff out there that I'd enjoy, but just haven't been exposed to yet. Especially movies...I got scared easily by movies when I was younger, and a little after I grew out of that, my brother was born, so my family never went out to watch movies. So, I haven't watched that many movies, and still don't. I.E. I haven't watched Inception, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, etc. etc. etc. But I don't know. Is it worth it to get into the movie "scene?" Every time I go to the movie theater, I always feel like I'm wasting money because of how expensive tickets are. But even if I "obtain" a copy of a movie some other way (borrowing a DVD, for example), there still remains the issue of time commitment - I can never seem to just block off a couple hours of my time and commit it to watching something. =/

The same goes for TV shows and manga. I know that there are great series out there, but I don't know what's worth the time to get into and what isn't. For example, it took me a while to get current on Big Bang Theory, but then I stopped following it because...well, see earlier post. And Bleach took even longer to get current, and...well, it's going in circles and I don't really see a way out for that series, either.

So I guess what I'm looking for are recommendations. What will actually be worth my time? What won't be? A friend of mine has been trying to get me to read One Piece lately. I probably will, but it's just so damn long. No, that is not what she said.

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of the same way when it comes to movies; most times I'd rather play games with the understanding that I can set my own time commitment for games. Eh.

    I started reading One Piece in middle school when a friend got me the first volume as a gift. I thought the series was interesting because:

    a) it has an interesting fruit-based fighting mechanic,
    b) its characters aren't unifaceted automatons like those in other series, and
    c) its nature is lighthearted and it doesn't take itself seriously like other series can.

    The length....is the sign of popularity and endurance. ^_^"

    ReplyDelete