Friday, July 16, 2010

Self-Challenge: Post a day until I go back to college.

Wow, it's been a long time. It seems like the year just ended and I just started working in lab, and it's already been two months. I'm going back to MIT on August 20th (I'm volunteering for my dorm's orientation rush), so my summer is already 2/3 over. So up until then, I'm going to challenge myself: a blog post every day! Will people care? Probably not, but oh well. XD

So what has Kyumin been up to, besides not updating his blog?

Lab, pretty much. The lab I'm working in is a biological engineering lab, and the project I'm involved in has to do with designing and optimizing a better version of the comet assay. The comet assay is a way to detect strand breaks in DNA through electrophoresis. This can be used then to quantify how much DNA damage each cell has experienced. It's pretty cool, I think?

Likes:
Ejecting pipette tips into sharps containers: THUNK. 'Nuff said.
Spraying my hands with ethanol: Cooling :D
Slicing agarose with razor blades: I like the sensation of the blade sinking into the gel. May or may not make me a serial killer.

Dislikes:
Pipetting for PCR: My hands shake D:
Making pH-sensitive buffer solutions: Add NaOH, pH too high, add HCl, pH too low, repeat.
Reading papers: WHAT IS THIS FOREIGN LANGUAGE I NO SPEAK BIO

No comments:

Post a Comment