Monday, July 19, 2010

Mahjong

Mahjong kind of gets a bad rap. For Americans, it's either a silly matching game or a game that old Jewish ladies play. For Asian parents, it's the road to gambling doom. For otakus, it's a setting for a yuri-laden anime where players have special powers.

When I first got introduced to mahjong, I have to admit that I didn't think too highly of it. We played with no restrictions on what makes a hand, and it seemed completely based on luck. However, at MIT, my friends introduced me to "actual" mahjong - with hand restrictions, point values, and the like. One variant that I was introduced to was Japanese mahjong, which is the variant played in Saki, the anime mentioned above. (It's actually not a bad series if you get past all the blushing.) It includes special "dora" tiles that increase the value of a hand and emphasizes closed hands, which is supposed to give it a more competitive or gambling-based feel. Though I don't know about gambling, I definitely played a lot of casual games with my friends during second semester (probably played too much, >_>).

Have I found myself a new hobby or just a new way to waste time? Both? I'm not sure, but I'm...trying to make something productive out of it? I'm thinking of teaching a Splash class (I still get e-mails telling me to register as a student...I'M NOT IN MIDDLE SCHOOL ANYMORE T_T) on Japanese mahjong with my friends and possibly even creating an MIT mahjong club. We'll see what happens, and see if mahjong truly deserves all the bad PR it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment