Friday, August 7, 2009

Movies I've watched recently

*After I realized that my QWERTY typing was dying, I switched back. Hm. Dvorak is definitely, in my opinion, objectively better, though. You move your fingers around so much more in QWERTY.
So this summer, I've been watching a lot more movies than normal (then again, "normal" is like one a year).
First off,
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Going into it, I had very high expectations based on FB and early reviews of the movie. It was pretty good, but, as usual, they overemphasized love triangles and underemphasized action. =/ I like the actor playing Bellatrix Lestrange. Quite convincing. Though I liked the scene in the book when the Minister of Magic pays a visit to the Prime Minister. I thought that was a really cool part of the book, but eh. They had to shrink it somehow.

Star Wars IV, V, VI
My brother's obsessed with Star Wars Legos (yet cried when he saw Wall-E...) so this was a mandatory watch. In my opinion, IV was the best, but, all three of them being rather old, the special effects obviously seem dated. V was pretty good as well, fairly interesting and definitely darker than IV. But VI, hm. First off, I was confused as to when exactly Luke became a "fully-trained Jedi" or whatever...whut? The Jabba the Hutt part was realllly awkward to watch with my brother, especially when Leia...yeah, you know what. The random musical number was just like lol whut. And the Ewoks, and...just in general, I didn't like VI as I did the other two.

No Country For Old Men
Hmmm. I had heard a lot of positive reviews and acclaim for this movie, so I watched it. As previously stated, I don't watch a lot of movies, so this was also my first Coen brothers movie. (Incidentally, one of my friends is in their next movie, A Serious Man.) My first impression was that of OMG CAN'T UNDERSTAND TEXAN ACCENTS x.X I think the bloodshed shown in this film was a bit...excessive. Although Dark Knight was more bloody, I guess, all the killing in this movie was a lot more disturbing for me. Maybe because I was watching it alone past midnight. =/ I spent most of the film...confused. Why did Chigurh have this burning grudge against Llewelyn? Why does the wife look young enough to be Llewelyn's daughter? Why is Llewelyn so fixated on the money, anyway? I had to read the Wikipedia article later to really understand what was going on. I don't know...it just seemed a bit too...pretentious? artsy? ironic? for my taste.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
I watched this just today, actually. I was at Greenwood when Order of the Phoenix came out, so I never got to see it. I thought it was okay/pretty good. Standard Harry Potter. It did the job, and carried out what it set out to do. I liked Dolores Umbridge. xD

2 comments: