Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dorm and ASEs

My dorm assignment came out! Next House '09-'10! That's where I stayed at CPW, the farthest dorm from campus...
Well, this is exciting. However, the worries remain...should I pay the $325 for getting half off dinner on weekdays? (That's how MIT dining halls work, only dinner, and only on weekdays, apparently. =/) Should I somehow learn how to cook and do so? Blarglefargle.

Another pressing issue: Advanced Standing Exams. Basically, if you take it and pass, you get to skip the first required course in the subject, i.e. if I take the chemistry ASE, then I fulfill my freshman year chemistry requirement. I could take mechanics, E&M, chemistry, biology, and math.
Mechanics: don't need to take (AP)
E&M: lawl...I'd rather just take E&M again during the pass/no record period
Chemistry: Planning on taking this one, but it apparently has an 8% pass rate
Biology: Um. Yeah. I don't really know any bio whatsoever. It'd be better to just take it....
Math: I fulfilled this requirement by virtue of BC Calc + Multivariable
So I started studying for chemistry yesterday, after much procrastination. I...obtained the textbook...electronically, and took a look. Oh snap. D: Either I forgot a lot more chemistry than I thought I had, or...it's damn hard.

In other news, I've been going to lots of museums and using lots of library passes. I think I went to the Museum of Fine Arts (free!), Museum of Science ($5), the Freedom Trail (fine, doesn't count), the Harvard Museum of Natural History/the Peabody Museum ($2), and the Liberty Ride ($10, $25 for adults, yowch). The Harvard Museum of Natural History was actually really cool. They had thousands of glass models of flowers that were incredibly accurate, amazing rocks and minerals, and room upon room of animal displays. Great fun. The Liberty Ride was really fun as well to see what had happened in places that we now consider everyday, but....I don't think I would pay $25 to see it. $10 was a pretty good deal though.

2 comments:

  1. They say the ASE is a final exam, but in reality the ASE is MUCH harder than the final exam. Many people (Andy Wu included) fail miserably at the ASE and then breeze through the GIR classes no sweat.

    8.022 is pretty damn interesting. I'd recommend taking it even if you (somehow) pass out of 8.02.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, two more things: aren't you required to get preferred dining plan if you live in a hall with a dining hall, Baker dining is open all week, and campusfood.com is your friend (okay, three things)

    ReplyDelete